Military Naturalization

Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service

Military Naturalization Guide

For assistance with immigration or naturalization questions, please contact your servicing Region Legal Service Office or your Command Citizenship Representative for advice.

If you are serving or have served in the U.S. armed forces and are interested in becoming a U.S. citizen, you may be eligible to apply for naturalization under special provisions of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). Read more on the Naturalization Through Military Service website. Make an appointment with a Legal Assistance attorney for additional assistance.

The time required to process your paperwork depends on many variables, including but not limited to: what type of service is requested, the office reviewing your file, and the complexity of your case. Estimated processing times can be found at U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Servicemembers may be eligible for assistance with naturalization. For a review, contact your servicing Region Legal Service Office.

Members and veterans of the U.S. armed forces and their dependents may be eligible for citizenship under special provisions of the INA. For more information, see USCIS’s Citizenship for Family Members page.

If you are planning on marrying a foreign national outside the U.S. please make an appointment to see a legal assistance attorney.

Service Approval

An important first step in the marriage of a service member to a foreign national outside the United States is to obtain Military Service approval. The marriage of Naval personnel to a foreign national outside the United States is governed by MILPERSMAN Section 5352-030. The Army and Air Force have similar regulations. These regulations require that all members planning to marry a foreign national will submit an application for permission to marry to their area commander or a designated representative. This is required regardless of whether the service member is stationed overseas or only traveling there to get married. As part of the application process, the alien spouse will receive a medical screening and a background investigation.

If you received your conditional permanent resident status through marriage to a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, or being admitted to the United States as a fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen (and then marrying the U.S. citizen), your conditional permanent resident’s status is valid for only two years and cannot be renewed. You must file a petition to remove conditions on permanent resident status or risk losing your lawful status.

For additional instructions on how to remove your condition status, speak with an attorney at a Region Legal Service Office and consult the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services instructions to “Remove My Conditional Status.”

If you will be traveling outside the United States, whether on military orders or on, you may need a U.S. passport. A passport identifies you as a United States citizen and allows you to re-enter the country upon your return. U.S. Passports are issued by the United States Department of State.

To determine what forms you will need, use the Department of State’s: "What Form Should I Use?" information service.

If you are being assigned overseas, you or your dependents may be issued an official no-fee passport for use. Special requirements apply. For answers to the most frequently asked questions about Military No-Fee Passports.