Navy-Marine Corps Trial Judiciary (Code 52)
The Trial Judiciary is a joint Navy-Marine Corps activity led by a Chief Trial Judge who serves as Officer-in-Charge. Its mission is to provide certified military judges for Navy and Marine Corps general and special courts-martial and hearing officers for sanity hearings on confined prisoners. In addition, military judges sometimes serve as Article 32, Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) preliminary hearing officers.
The Judiciary is organized into eight judicial circuits staffed by active-duty military judges, and is supported by Naval Reserve and Marine Corps Reserve Individual Mobilization Augmentees.
The number of active duty judges fluctuates around 27, depending on open positions. Due to the enormous responsibility for trials throughout the world, military judges spend much of their time traveling.
Rules of Court
Standardize Trial Management Order - for use by counsel and referenced in the NMCTJ Uniform Rules of Practice.
Model Pretrial Agreement - for considered use by counsel and referenced in the NMCTJ Uniform Rules of Practice.
Standardized Post Trial and Appellate Rights - mandated for use by counsel and referenced in the NMCTJ Uniform Rules of Practice.
Rules of Court for each Judicial Circuit may be found in the table below.
The below contact information for individual judicial circuits provides a link to general information relative to dockets published by judicial circuits. Each docket is maintained locally and is subject to change without notice. Disclosure of information within any docket does not support or permit any inference adverse to any accused; all accused are presumed to be innocent. For inquiries regarding any particular court-martial, please contact the local Public Affairs Office.
- Official correspondence (other than court filings) should be directed to the Chief Trial Judge’s Executive Assistant at the following address:
- U.S. Navy-Marine Corps Trial Judiciary
- 1250 10th Street SE Suite 1300
- Washington Navy Yard, DC 20374-5140
- Phone Numbers:
- Comm: (202) 685-5998 / 5893
- DSN: 325-5998 / 5893
- Media inquiries should be directed to:
- Special Assistant, Public Affairs
- Office of the Judge Advocate General
- 1322 Patterson Ave., SE, Suite 3000
- Washington Navy Yard, D.C. 20374-5066
- Phone Numbers:
- Comm: (202) 685-5493
- DSN: 325-5493
- Email: Jennifer.Zeldis@navy.mil