Code 16 Tax Information
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance / Electronic Filing (VITA / ELF)
VITA sites provide free self-service tax assistance to Servicemembers and their dependents.
- 2017 State Tax Guide – Intended as a reference for U.S. Military VITA program volunteers, it provides basic information and contact points for state returns.
- Armed Forces' Tax Guide – Published by the IRS to provide guidance on a wide range of military-specific tax issues that may affect service-member tax returns.
General Tax Information
- TIM 03-13: Tax Treatment of Compensation Payments for Foreclosures in Violation of the SCRA
- TIM 04-13: Home-to-Work Certification
- TIM 04-13 Encl - Sample Home-to-Work Memo to DFAS
- TIM 05-13 Same-Sex Spouses- Federal and State Tax Treatment
- DFAS Wounded Warrior Pay and Entitlements Handbook – This publication is intended to serve as an explanation of pay and entitlements for members of the U.S. military who are injured while serving in a combat zone, combat operation or hostile fire event and is receiving medical treatment at military facilities outside of the zone.
Many of the publications available on this Web site are Portable Document Format (PDF) files. To view and print these documents, download and install the free Adobe Reader software.