Code 16 Tax Information
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance / Electronic Filing (VITA / ELF)
The VITA / ELF is a program in which volunteers trained and certified by the IRS do tax returns for military members and their dependents free of charge.
- 2013 State Tax Guide – If your tax center is preparing state tax returns, you’ll need this.
- 2013 U.S. Navy VITA/ELF Sites by CNIC Region – Locate your nearest VITA/ELF site.
- Armed Forces' Tax Guide – A guide that addresses a wide range of issues that may affect members of the military.
General Tax Information
- Tax Information Memorandum 01-13
- Tax Information Memorandum 02-13
- TIM 4-11 Encl. - Sample Home-to-Work for Memo to DFAS
- Quick Primer on Charitable Contributions
- Tax Home Memorandum – FBM Deduction and Deployed Staff Deduction
- Quick Guide to Tax Issues for Two Crew Submarine Personnel
- Combat Zone Tax Exclusion Tri-Fold Brochure – A guide that can be printed on both sides of a single sheet of paper (and then compacted into a handy “tri-fold”) that discusses tax benefits available to military members who have served abroad in harm’s way.
- DFAS Wounded Warrior Financial Guide – A guide about benefits for military members injured abroad in combat zones who are receiving medical treatment outside of those zones.
Many of the publications available on this Web site are Portable Document Format (PDF) files. To view and print these documents, download and install the free Adobe Reader software.