Environmental Law (Code 12)
The Environmental Law Division provides legal advice, assistance, research and representation on a variety of issues involving laws protecting human health, the environment, and historic and cultural resources.
- Supports the JAG in providing advice to the Secretary of the Navy and Chief of Naval Operations on environmental legal matters, particularly as they relate to Navy training and operational requirements;
- Assigns a judge advocate as the Senior Counsel (Fleet & Operational Environmental Law) in the Office of the Assistant General Counsel (Energy, Installations and Environment), providing legal advice to the Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Navy (Energy, Installations and Environment);
- Assigns a judge advocate as an Associate General Counsel in the Office of the Department of Defense (DoD) Deputy General Counsel (Environment and Installations), providing advice on environmental legal matters, with an emphasis on operational, air and energy issues, to the Office of the Secretary of Defense;
- Assigns a judge advocate to the Environmental Trial Team in the Navy Litigation Office, serving as agency counsel in environmental litigation;
- Supports judge advocates serving in environmental specialist billets;
- Works closely with the Office of Legislative Affairs (OLA) to review environmental legislation, and coordinates legal positions of field activities;
- Cooperates closely with the environmental branch of the International & Operational Law Division (Code 10); and
- Provides advice to the JAG and the Military Personnel Division (Code 61) on environmental specialist community management and training in Environmental Law.